Now, due to the time pressure I was under, this is not going to be a fully comprehensive tutorial. I’ll do my best to explain what and how I did and use the Ikea instruction manual to demonstrate.
(Plus I was working in utter chaos, junk everywhere. Kind of ashamed to take pics of that.)
- Open the ikea box. Pull out all the wood parts that are not painted (they will be the back of the drawers, the drawer sides, the 2 back braces, the drawer bottoms and the back panel. As well as the bag of screws, nails etc and the drawer runners. Put them to one side.
- What you should be left with is all the pieces that need wallpaper.
- I started with the 3 drawer fronts and the top piece.I used wallpaper paste to adhere the wallpaper. But this was a dud. It didn’t stick the best. If I was to do it again, I would need to find something else. I was tempted to use spray adhesive, but I was working inside and I didn’t want to relocate and especially being pregnant, I didn’t want any part of those fumes. (At this stage, I soldiered on as I wasn’t too worried, because the nail tacks where going to hold it in place.)
- The drawer fronts, I cut the wallpaper over sized and stuck it on. Let it dry and then trimmed it face down with a sharp utility blade.
- The top panel. I cut over sized and wrapped the whole piece around and underneath. So when you flipped it over, it was stuck down with about a 7cm border around. Because the top panel overhangs the unit and you could see under it, so it is best to wrap it and it means that the wallpaper will stay securely in place. Used lots of masking tape and paint tins to hold it down while it was drying.
- Next I did the top and bottom brace and the 2 panels that go between the 3 drawers.
- I used Mod Podge to stick these down.
- Lastly I did the 2 side panels. As you can see, these panels have a profile where the centre is lower then the side bars. This wasn’t going to be very helpful for wallpaper. So what I did was cut down the ikea cardboard box the cabinet came in. 4 x 400mm x 710mm rectangles. To fill in this void and make it as flush as possible.
I used Mod Podge to stick them down. One on top of the other. Great use of recycling.
- I then had to cover this piece with wallpaper.
- Now it was the fun part! Bashing in the tacks! I started without much thought and was going all willy nilly and you can see that they are a bit wonky donkey.
- A way to avoid this is by using masking tape to hold the strip is place. They are quite flexible because they are designed to follow curves etc. But a little bit of masking tape in between the tacks with holes in them is the best way to ensure it stays where you want them to. The side panels, which I did last, are PERFECT, but of course, the least visible, naturally!!!!
- But I am not a perfectionist and DONE is better then perfectly half finished and I was on a mission to complete this for my daughter’s room. So put your judgment away!
- If I was to make this again, There is another thing I would do differently. I put all the tacks on all the pieces before assembling any part of the unit. I thought that this would be the easiest way as everything could lie flat. It was easy, but when you do go to put the unit together, things don’t line up as best as you would like.
- This is what I would have changed. I would put strips of tacks on these parts separately.
- I would then assemble the unit to this stageThen would follow your plan in Part Three with the unit laying on its back, facing up.
Put the tacks on these parts
This will mean you have more control over the corners meeting when different pieces come together.
- Then finish assembling your cabinet as per the instructions. Attach the new handles and VOILA!!! You did it!
- I have opted to get a piece of glass cut for the top of the chest to protect the wallpaper. So, this was the final step.
All in all this Ikea Hack project took me 2 days to complete.
If you are attempting this yourself and have any questions, please comment and I’ll get back to you.
Stay tuned for the final part, Part SIX. The unveiling of the finished masterpiece!